It is increasingly vital for organizations across the globe to integrate and focus on business risk when developing their security strategies. One particularly notable strategy that is gaining traction is Continuous Threat Exposure Management, often referred to as CTEM. This strategy stands out as it prioritizes automated security validation, an action that signifies a proactive step toward enhancing cyber defense in a way that is backed by concrete evidence and real-world data.
Detailed Key Points
- It is essential for security and risk management teams to reorient their focus, placing a strong emphasis on business risk. This strategic prioritization is key in the effective remediation and safeguarding of an organization’s ever-widening attack surface, ensuring that the most pressing risks are addressed first and with appropriate measures.
- Traditional security tools and methodologies are increasingly being seen as insufficient when it comes to navigating and managing the intricate and evolving nature of today’s digital attack surfaces and the security vulnerabilities inherent within them.
- Research from the esteemed analyst firm Gartner has indicated a growing trend in the industry toward security operations that are keenly focused on business risks, indicating a preferred strategic move towards managing security based on potential exposure to threats.
- Continuous Threat Exposure Management, CTEM, serves as a structured approach that guides organizations through a series of stages: scoping out the digital estate, discovering existing vulnerabilities, validating these security gaps through testing, and prioritizing them based on the level of associated risk.
- The adoption of automated security validation practices enables organizations to detect and resolve critical security gaps at a rapid pace that traditional methods may not match. This quick turnaround is integral in maintaining strong cyber defenses in a landscape where threats evolve quickly.
- Beyond simply identifying security weaknesses, automated security validation lays the groundwork for an evidence-based approach to cyber defense. This strategy moves beyond theoretical risks to actionable intelligence on real vulnerabilities, which enables risk-based remediation efforts to be more effectively targeted.
- In recognition of its importance and efficiency, Pentera’s Automated Security Validation platform has garnered attention from Gartner, being identified as in line with the key functions required for effective security operations in the year 2023. This endorsement highlights the relevance and efficacy of automation in contemporary cyber security operations.